Thursday 31 December 2009

Dongongong's famous Tamu

Hey! first blog for the new year! happy 2010 Dear bloggers! Anyway. I might type in both Melayu and English so my friends can read this blog. Anyway back to the Topic

Have any of you go to Kota Kinabalu? Its a nice place and all. But what makes it this good until it deserves to be blog? Well let me tell you.

In Kota Kinabalu we have the famous Tamu. I bet all around Kota Kinabalu have them.
For me i only went to Dongongong near my Kampung.

In the Tamu you could find almost everything (given the chance) Let it be Raw food to Industrial items.

(here you can see the busy aura of the Tamu) (suasana kat tamu)
As in the picture if you have a good eye and maybe a little bit of a taste of art. Maybe you can photograph at the tamu! It was fun and all going to the tamu... Usually i go there in Thursday accompanying my grandmother to buy food supply for the house in my kampung.
and because of my hardwork accompanying her there.. Like they say all hardwork gets paid.
Well i did get paid 30 ringgit for each time i accompany her. My grandmother is a generous and good person..

Back to the Topic! Eventhough you can find almost everything there. I still wonder if they have licenses to sell the items and wares. Well back up there i said you can find from Raw food to industrial items right? well.. I did mean it.. I even found that they sell living creatures such as
Eels, Rabbits, Turtles, and other animals for pets.

You must have the licence to sell them by the way!
sadly i dont have the photos!

anyway another picture at the tamu















Yes those are Chili and Cucumbers! Vegetable and spices!
Available at Tamu! Basically in Tamu. You can buy your everyday items, foods and other stuff
basically its more of a "you name it, you got it" type.

You can also get fruits and potatoes and other everyday food there.
(picture at right shows my not so sturdy hands in taking a picture of vegetables)

There are many types of Vegetalbes there I would name it if i know the name of the vegetables! i also some Spring onions if i am not wrong.
The food they are selling there are basically still fresh and ready to be sold
but what good is the Tamu if they only sale Vegetables, fruits and other Raw foods.

If they dont have the basic thing for all malaysians in their meal!
You want to get guess???

Take your time.

Please do...


You dont know?

Well no other than RICE! but not those normal rice. Special types of Rice.
I dont know whats good about these rice are but they are sold in high prices.
I would plant a paddy field just to sell them!
Yes as the picture says! 3.60 Ringgits a kilo for and Special brand of Rice!
(Sabah Special Rice)

Eventhough i do not know what so good about these rices but my aunt does use them to make porridges for her babies.

Next stop! The Fish market!!!
smell something fishy?
Well you're smelling it right.
Just besides the Tamu there is a fish market.
For... you know to buy fish and other Sea food stuff!


(these people are not sellfish. They are only Fish monger!)

Yeah! you guessed even Fishes are sold in the Tamu! have no feeling of eating Big and oily Chicken? Well Steam some fishes! they are good for the health!
Yeah this is what i have to carry everyday when accompanying my grandmother at the tamu.
2 kilos of fish and maybe 1 kilo of squid! But still i get paid!
If you think i only accept money for a work. Hey they dont call it a job if you dont get paid right?

so in the fish market. You can find alot of Fishes.. (way the go captain obvious) and other Sea worldly creatures. Once i saw they gutting up a Tuna fish.. YES A TUNA FISH
it was big! and tasty!
aside from its gutted guts of couse.. Erghh....
Well i wish i can say more about Tamu.. But if you guys wonder why my grandmother ALWAYS go to the Tamu.. I am happy to answer





Junk foods! for me and my cousins at my kampung! see that 1 bag of snack?
guess who always finishes it first before we go to the next week Tamu..


You guessed it! its me! okay i am fat! and damn proud of it!
so probaly most of you are questioning
"whats a Tamu?". "what language does it come from?"





Basically the Tamu is in Malay. Not kadazan. The definition of tamu is a place of where you meet people. Like Ruang tamu (living room). Well that is all for this blog..Hope you like it for it is my first one ever!

Comment please!

~Shouqie azlan

No comments:

Post a Comment